Marine, Environment & Biodiversity Lead, Belfast Harbour
The role profile
A new role created to strengthen and deliver on the Harbour's sustainability ambition you’ll drive change and innovation through a range of projects in the Marine, Environment and Biodiversity field across the Harbour estate. This new position will play a leading role as the Harbour looks to deliver on its ambition to become a green port rooted in sustainable business practices whilst proactively engaging with stakeholders and the communities we serve across Northern Ireland.
Leadership skills – ability to coach, inspire and garner support across a diverse group of stakeholders whilst setting clear direction through sponsorship of initiatives rooted in generating value in the natural world. As well as good business and risk awareness skills you’ll be able to act/think strategically and tactically.
Analytical thinking – ability to critically evaluate complex technical issues using a range of statistical and problem-solving techniques (both quantitative and qualitative). Confidence to articulate complex problems and solutions in a simple, logical and impactful manner and to constructively challenge team members and leadership to ensure the right business outcomes and value are delivered.
Technical expertise – you’ll be able to demonstrate a good understanding of the tactical delivery of change initiatives in one (or more) areas spanning the marine, environment or biodiversity sphere as well as hold a solid understanding of the core issues affecting the natural world that organisations must incorporate into their wider sustainability agenda.
Organization skills – strong organisation and reporting skills with the ability to dissect, analyse and translate data into recommendations alongside the capacity to efficiently drive changes.
Communication skills – a strong influencer this role will be required to proactively engage both internally and externally on our marine, environment and biodiversity agenda; building consensus and a strong action plan through collaboration and participation to shape future outcomes.
▪ Lead with setting organisational marine, environment and biodiversity targets, developing plans to meet those targets and oversee their delivery.
▪ Coordinate all aspects of pollution control, waste management, recycling, environmental health, and conservation activity across the Harbour Estate.
▪ Lead the implementation of environmental policies and practices.
▪ Ensure compliance with environmental legislation and keep up to date with relevant NI and UK wide regulation and legislation.
▪ Develop and implement environmental management systems to continually improve the impact of the organisation on the environment.
▪ Carry out marine, environment and biodiversity audits and assessments, identifying and resolving issues and ensuring necessary changes are implemented in line with best practice.
▪ Liaise with relevant bodies such as local authorities, public bodies and competent bodies.
▪ Prepare timely reporting of marine, environment and biodiversity activity through regular reporting alongside medium and long term planning to support our wider sustainability agenda.
▪ Build, analyse and manage a suite of relevant KPIs aimed at mapping trends, identifying opportunities and managing risk with regards to marine, environment and biodiversity activity across the organisation and the Harbour Estate.
▪ Research and monitor announcements from key industry bodies, institutions, and networks, ensuring that the Harbour is adopting a relevant ‘best-in-class’ approach to activities that affect the natural world.
▪ Carry out periodic inspections and audits to identify any observations for improvements.
▪ Promote and raise awareness, at all levels of the organisation, the impact of emerging environmental issues.
▪ Coach, inspire and educate, both internally and externally, to promote best practice activities
▪ Third level degree in relevant science based environment / engineering / sustainability discipline.
▪ Demonstrate a practical knowledge of managing projects.
▪ Excellent analytical abilities; particularly the facility to interrogate large data sets.
▪ Strong knowledge of environmental regulations.
▪ An understanding of ISO systems and standards
▪ Strong business report writing and presentation skills.
▪ Competent communication skills, written and verbal.